Past Kalo Events
Board of Directors
Kalo Arts Crafts Community House, located at 322 Grant Place in Park Ridge,
Illinois, was "a school within a workshop" owned and operated by the Kalo
Shop, Inc. (1900-1970), founded and
operated by Chicago art entrepreneur
Clara Pauline Barck Welles (1868-1965).
This facility played a
pivotal role in training hundreds of aspiring artisans for meaningful and
profitable careers in the arts. Many former Kalo
jewelers also started their own companies with the
blessing and encouragement
of Clara B. Welles, which led to the founding of a
full-fledged, highly profitable art industry in the Chicago area that was
known for hand wrought silver, jewelry
and crafts products.
Many hand wrought silver
and jewelry companies spun off from the Kalo Arts Crafts
Community house in Park
Ridge. This plethora of startups was pivotal
in making Chicago the leader in hand wrought silver and jewelry during
the American Arts & Crafts movement. These included more than 20 of the best
known companies in the world of Arts & Crafts silver today---all tracing
their roots back to the Kalo House in Park Ridge.
More Kalo History
of the 'Iannelli Studios Heritage Center' was officially transferred to
The Kalo Foundation of Park Ridge on August 31, 2011. President Betsy
"Thanks to each and every supporter of Kalo's initiative. This exciting
endeavor can now proceed because of your efforts and generosity.
Let's keep the funding momentum rolling!"
More historical information on the Kalo Shop and it's
artisans is in the process of being developed for this website.
The Kalo Foundation of Park Ridge
255 N. Northwest Hwy.
Park Ridge, IL 60068